Sunday, November 22, 2009

Chickens=Eggs



I raise Rhode Island Red chickens. I have for the past 12 years. We also raise meat birds but that is another post. Right now they are in the freezer.
My girls (thats what I call them) are now laying. We are getting 6 or 7 eggs a day. The eggs are so much better than in the grocery store. They are better than the ones that are free range, organic in the grocery store. In fact I think a fresh egg is no older than a week. The yolk is more orange, the white more intact. The taste is so much different. I made my husband eggs for breakfast this past week and he said, "Mmmm it is so nice to have fresh eggs again". A couple of the boys had a big plate of scrambled eggs the other night. Eggs for snack!! Can't beat that.
The girls, my daughters, love to go out and check for eggs. One time we waited ten minutes for one that looked like she was going to lay and then she just came out and started eating. I guess she was modest. I would like my daughters to see an egg being layed. It would be even better if I got it on video.

No comments:

Post a Comment